A common opinion is why use a treadmill when you can go running outside for free? Of course there are benefits to running outside – fresh air for example! However for beginners there are more benefits starting your cardio program on a treadmill.
Here are five reasons why beginners should use the treadmill:
- The treadmill will set a consistent pace. A lot of people don’t know their own jogging pace and run out of steam after 5 minutes because they’ve gone too fast to maintain it. You can set a comfortable pace on the treadmill to begin with and then gradually start to increase over a period of time.
- The treadmill has a level surface which reduces the risk of injury (tripping, falling).
- If you are a beginner and trying to stay motivated then running in the rain can be off putting and give you that excuse to not go on your new routine run. Staying in the dry and warm is a much better way to initial get your fitness levels up.
- Monitoring your progress. All treadmills have a monitor which allows you to record your time, distance, speed and heart rate. This is important in the beginning stages to keep track and see your improvements.
- Longevity! Even a seasoned pro will tell you that pounding the pavement on a regular basis puts an incredible amount of stress on your lower body. You need to be well conditioned to run outside on a regular basis and the place to start is on a treadmill.